EURESFO: connecting cities for a resilient future
The European Urban Resilience Forum (EURESFO) is a unique exchange platform for city representatives, experts and stakeholders from local and regional institutions to discuss strategies, initiatives and actions for adapting to climate change and building urban resilience. The event is an initiative from ICLEI Local Governments for Sustainability and the European Environment Agency (EEA) since 2013.
In 2021, the Forum took place for the first time as a hybrid event, inviting local and regional institutions from Scandinavia and beyond to a personal exchange in Malmö, Sweden. Those who could not travel, due to ongoing restrictions, had the opportunity to attend the event and participate as an audience through live streaming.
2021 in focus
- Implementation of the EU Adaptation Strategy: focus on cities and regions
- Climate justice and equity in climate adaptation
- Sustainable finance and innovative funding for adaptation
- Towards a resilient recovery
- Ecosystem restoration and the nexus between biodiversity and climate resilience
- Nature-based solutions for healthy ecosystems
- Local adaptation planning for smaller municipalities
- Low-carbon initiatives and sustainable buildings
- Data-driven initiatives for integrated climate strategies
- Disaster risk reduction and cultural heritage
Hear from the team
“The EURESFO is so inspiring for me as it puts cities first. Cities talk to cities, and experts listen and throw in additional advice. I always enjoy the refreshing perspective from the ground and the vast knowledge that municipalities bring from practice."
Birgit Georgi, Independent Expert
"At the EEA, we are excited to continue our collaboration with ICLEI on the organization of the upcoming EURESFO 2021! We look forward to engaging in discussions on topics that are essential to creating a climate-resilient future for all, including climate justice, nature-based solutions and sustainable finance."
Angelika Tamasova, European Environment Agency
"Being part of EURESFO's organising team since 2016 has been an inspiring and rewarding process that has brought me closer to cities and local resilience work. It is important to keep the momentum in difficult times and we plan for a tailor made programme for cities and regions this October."
Vasileios Latinos, Resilience Coordinator, ICLEI Europe
"As part of the planning team and local representatives of Malmö, we look forward to meeting again to exchange experiences and ideas at the #1 Forum on urban resilience. Let's discuss and take action for future needs, embrace challenges while creating new opportunities together!"
Silvia Haslinger Olsson & Magnus Qvant, Nordic Urban Resilience Institute